I wanted to title this Poached Eggs with Roasted Asparagus and Homemade Tomato Sauce photo “Liquid Gold”. For obvious reasons, I am addicted to putting a fried egg or poached egg on anything and everything.
Healthy recipe number 3 for the week. Don’t forget about these, if you cook enough of my recipes, you too, will have to go on the “Slow Carb” diet. I always say diet food does not have to be boring. This is far from boring.
If I could, I would put a poached egg on everything. I typically do too.
This is a very simple side dish or starter for any meal. Lots of flavors and the colors are absolutely gorgeous.
Poached Eggs with Roasted Asparagus and Homemade Tomato Sauce
- 4 whole Eggs
- 2 tablespoon White Vinegar
- Salt and Pepper
- Chives, chopped for garnish
- Lemon Zest, for garnish
- 1 bunch Asparagus, trimmed
- Olive Oil, for drizzling
- For the Tomato Sauce
- 1 whole Onion, chopped
- 3 cloves Garlic, grated or minced
- 1 pinch Red Pepper Flake
- 2 tablespoons Tomato Paste
- 1 can (10 ounces) Diced Tomatoes
- 1 whole Bay Leaf
- Step 1 Preheat your oven to 375 degrees F. In a medium size sauce pan heat the olive oil to medium heat, add the onions and sweat until tender. About 2 – 3 minutes. Add the garlic and red pepper flake and stir until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Stir in the tomato pasta and add the can of diced tomatoes, juice and all. Add the bay leaf. Reduce heat. Let simmer on low until the rest is ready.
- Step 2 Place the trimmed asparagus on a sheet pan, drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Roast in the oven for 15 minutes. Remove and let rest until ready to use. Place a shallow pot of water on the stove with the white vinegar and bring to a slow simmer.
- Step 3 Work in batches. I like to take a small glass bowl and one by one crack my eggs into the bowl. In the center of the simmering pot dip the lip of the bowl with the egg in the water and slide the egg slowly into the pot. With a slotted spoon very gently nudge the white over the yolk and leave it! Maintain a slight simmer but don’t let the water boil.
- Step 4 Poach the eggs for 4-5 minutes for a perfect medium egg. Remove eggs with a slotted spoon to a plate lined with paper towels. Let drain until ready to use. Plate the tomato sauce on top of the roasted asparagus and place the poached egg on top. Garnish with chives and lemon zest.
Savor and Enjoy!