Here’s post numero dos of healthy eating week with this Pesto Lentil Salad with Honey Lemon Shrimp. I’m seldom a picky eater but when it comes to any kind of legumes, count me out. I understand the “it’s a texture thing” kind of people now, because it’s totally me. It really is the texture that gets me.
So of course with this Slow Carb Diet the main side dish is legumes! I have to pull up my big girl pants and go to work in the kitchen, not only cooking what I don’t like to eat but I actually have to eat it! Seems like cruel and unusual punishment to me..
I picked the lesser of the legume evils and transformed it into a lovely fresh pesto, tomato and spinach salad. How delightful.
So if you’re anything like me and it’s a “texture” thing, I definitely suggest giving this dish a whirl. It’s healthy and it makes your taste buds happy.
Pesto Lentil Salad with Honey Lemon Shrimp
- 1 cup Dried Split Peas, rinsed
- 1 cup Dried Lentils, rinsed
- 2 cloves Garlic, peeled
- 1 teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 4 cups Water
- 2 tablespoons Pesto
- Handful Cherry Tomatoes
- Handful Baby Spinach Leaves
- For Honey Lemon Shrimp
- 1 pound Large Raw Shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 tablespoons Honey
- 1 clove Garlic, grated or minced
- 1 whole Lemon, zested and juiced
- Kosher Salt and Ground Black Pepper, for seasoning
- Chives, chopped for garnish
- Step 1 In a medium size pot add the split peas, lentils, garlic and salt. Cover with 4 cups of water. Bring to a boil and reduce to simmer. Cover with lid but leave ajar for steam to escape. Simmer for 30 minutes until peas and lentils are tender. If the water has evaporated and the lentils still aren’t tender, add a little more water until they are thoroughly cooked. Remove from heat, drain excess water and remove garlic cloves. Toss in the pesto, tomatoes and spinach.
- Step 2 Meanwhile, in a plastic bag add the peeled raw shrimp, honey, garlic, and the juice and zest of the lemon. Season with a little salt and pepper and toss everything together to coat. Place in the refrigerator and marinate for 10 minutes.
- Step 3 In a medium size pan heat olive oil over medium high heat. Add shrimp to the pan and cook 2 minutes on each side until shrimp are pink and no long opaque. Toss chives with the shrimp and serve on top of the lentil salad. Enjoy!
Savor and Enjoy!