Orange Sweet Rolls are the closest thing to a little piece of heaven. Make these for Sunday brunch for a gathering, holiday or just because they’re delicious.
Fluffy and perfectly sweet with lots of fresh orange flavor. I like using fresh squeezed orange juice instead of store bought, it’s not a sweet. The zest of the orange will also give these rolls lots of fragrance and fresh flavor.
I use two whole oranges in this recipe, it might sound like a lot, but between the rolls, filling and the glaze. It has a cohesive orange flavor in every bite.
A microplane to is probably one of my single most used kitchen items. I use it for grating garlic, zesting citrus or even grating parmesan.
Make these rolls a day ahead all the way up to the baking part, store in the refrigerator covered overnight and in the morning just pop in the oven and bake to wake up the whole house with heavenly orange roll smells. It’s my favorite fragrance.
Orange Sweet Rolls
- 1 package Rapid Rise Active Dry Yeast
- 1/4 cup Warm Water
- 1 cup Warm Milk, (whole milk or 2%)
- 1/4 cup Sugar
- 1/2 cup Melted Unsalted Butter
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 Egg, lightly beaten
- 3 1/2 - 4 cups All Purpose Flour
- For Filling:
- 1/2 cup Unsalted Butter, room temperature
- 1 cup Sugar
- 1 whole Orange, zested and juiced
- For Glaze:
- 2 cups Powdered Sugar
- 1 whole Orange, zested and juice
- 1/2 cup Heavy Cream
- Step 1 In a stand mixer with a dough hook attachment, combine yeast, warm water, warm milk and sugar. Let yeast bloom for 10 minutes until puffed and foamy. Begin mixing at a slow speed, add melted butter, salt, egg and slowly begin adding in 3 cups of flour, 1 cup at a time. Up the speed of your mixer until a soft dough forms. Add 1/2 cup of flour to the dough depending on how tacky and elastic your it is.
- Step 2 Turn out dough onto a floured surface and begin kneading. If dough is too sticky, dust with another 1/3 cup of flour and knead into dough. Add more flour if necessary. Knead dough for 5 minutes until smooth and elastic. Spray a bowl with nonstick cooking spray and place dough in bowl. Cover with a clean kitchen towel and allow dough to rise until doubled in size, about 1 hour.
- Step 3 Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine all filling ingredients. Set aside until ready to use.
- Step 4 Punch dough down turn dough out onto a clean surface. Use a rolling pin to roll dough into a long rectangle, about 16×24″. Spread your filling on the surface and roll up, starting with the long end. Pinch seam to seal. Cut into 12 even 1″ pieces.
- Step 5 Place cut side down onto a greased 10×15″ baking pan. Cover and let rise again, about 20 minutes.
- Step 6 Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Step 7 Uncover and bake rolls for 25-30 minutes until rolls are golden brown.
- Step 8 Whisk together powdered sugar, orange zest, orange juice and heavy cream until smooth. Pour glaze over warm rolls and spread evenly. Serve and enjoy!
Savor and Enjoy!