This dessert is a very simple and elegant way to impress dinner guests. Or if you’re like me make a batch and just save in the fridge all week for a daily treat. This dessert is best made a day ahead to allow the caramel to turn into a sauce.
Right before serving them pop them out of the ramekins and boom you have a very sweet and tasty dessert. Careful not to overcook, these guys can be a little temperamental. Serve with fresh sliced fruit like strawberries or bananas on top. Very beautiful dish if I do say so myself!
- 1/2 cup Sugar
- 2 tablespoons Water
- 1 cup Milk
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 2 whole Eggs
- 1/2 cup Sugar
- Step 1 Place the sugar and water in a saucepan and cook over medium high heat until the sugar melts. Try not to stir or jostle the pan. When the caramel reaches a deep amber color immediately remove from the heat and dip the bottom of the pan in cold water. In four small ramekins evenly pour the caramel in the bottom of each ramekin. Set ramekins aside until the cream mixture is ready.
- Step 2 Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Step 3 Bring the milk and vanilla extract to a boil in a medium sized pot. As soon as it starts to boil remove from heat.
- Step 4 In a separate bowl whisk the eggs and sugar together. Once milk is removed begin pouring milk and vanilla mixture into the eggs and sugar in a thin stream while whisking. Strain the mixture through a fine mesh strainer into a clean bowl.
- Step 5 Ladle the mixture into the ramekins with the caramel on the bottom. Place the ramekins in a shallow baking dish or sheet pan. Fill the pan with water until it reaches about half way up on the ramekins.
- Step 6 Bake for 30 minutes until custard is set. The tip of a knife when inserted into the center should come out clean.
- Step 7 Let the flan cool before wrapping with plastic wrap and placing in the fridge. Overnight is ideal but 2 hours would be a sufficient amount of time for the flan to set.
- Step 8 To serve the flan, cut around the edges with a small knife to loosen it from the ramekin and flip it onto a plate. You should be able to hear the flan pop out and when you hear that glorious sound you can remove the ramekin. If not, try tapping the bottom of the ramekin until it comes undone.
Savor and Enjoy!