Apricots, blackberries, & blueberries, oh my!
It’s canning season and oh man has it been hot lately! So what do I do?! Stand over a hot pot of macerated fruit stirring constantly for a half hour. Any sane person does that right? Well trust me it’s worth it to have yummy fresh jam on your morning toast. They’re perfect for gifts as well. After you master this basic jam recipe, think of the possibilities! Jalapeno jam, tomato jam, bacon jam! Stay tuned.
Hot August Jam
- 4 whole Apricots, pitted and quartered
- 2 packages Blackberries
- 1 package Blueberries
- 1/2 cup Sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons Honey
- 2 whole Cinnamon Sticks
- 1 teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
- Step 1 In a medium size bowl place the fruit and sugars together and toss to combine. I like to macerate my fruit at room temperature for 1 hour. Plastic wrap the top of the bowl and place in the refrigerator overnight or for 7 hours.
- Step 2 Once fruit is broken down and has given off their liquid. Place fruit and it’s juices in a heavy bottom pot. (I use my handy dandy Le Creuset Dutch Oven)
- Step 3 Over high heat add honey, cinnamon sticks, and ground cinnamon to the fruit, stir in to combine. Continually stir. Bring to a boil and reduce heat slightly, you don’t want to burn your jam. Cook for a half hour. Reduce your liquid by half. Your fruit should be breaking down into a jam like consistency. It should also be smelling terrific in your kitchen as well! Adjust seasoning with honey, this isn’t an incredibly sweet jam so add more honey to your taste.
- Step 4 Once cooked take the jam off the heat and cool completely before placing in a air tight container or canning. Enjoy!
Savor and Enjoy!