Smoked Gouda Biscuits are little pillows of heaven. Fluffy, cheesy and delicious. Easy to prepare in under 30 minutes for a simple weekend brunch.
There is nothing better than the smell of homemade biscuits on a Sunday morning. Even more heavenly is the combination of biscuits, bacon and fried eggs. This is the perfect storm for a glorious morning brunch in my home.
Yes, you too can have all this and more. Biscuits are actually really simple to master and take no time at all to whip up. More than likely you have all the ingredients on hand. They are one of those blank canvas recipes that you can do almost anything to. Have cheddar on hand? Throw it in there. Chives? Chop em up and throw them in the dough. Sriracha….okay we’re getting crazy, but I may be working on Sriracha flavored biscuits. But that is for another day my friends.
You can also make them whatever shapes you prefer, if you have a biscuit cutter then by all means, I’ve used a glass before and it works just fine. I like to just cut my biscuits into square/rectangle like shapes, it’s quick and there is no leftover dough waste.
Throw a sunny side up egg on that ‘b’ with some bacon, pour yourself a mimosa, and go nuts. No matter how you serve them, these will turn out fluffy, delicious, and the perfect side for all your breakfast needs.
Check out my Homemade Cheddar Biscuits with Spicy Sausage Gravy recipe if you’re feeling crazy!
Smoked Gouda Biscuits
The secret to good fluffy biscuits is really cold butter. Cube the butter then place back in the fridge until ready to incorporate into the dough. Also, overworking the dough will make for a tough biscuit. Try sticking to only kneading until dough is combined.
- 3 cups All Purpose Flour
- 4 teaspoons Baking Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Smoked Paprika
- 3 teaspoons Honey
- 1/2 cup Butter, cold and cut into cubes
- 1 1/2 cup Smoked Gouda, shredded
- 1 cup Milk
- 1 Egg, whisked used for brushing
- Kosher Salt and Ground Black Pepper, for seasoning
- Step 1 Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Step 2 Combine dry ingredients through smoked paprika. Add honey and use a pastry cutter to cut in cold butter until it’s about the size of a pea.
- Step 3 Add 1 cup of the grated cheese, save 1/2 cup for topping. Pour in the milk and mix until just combined. Turn dough out and knead 10-15 times.
- Step 4 Roll the dough into a 3/4 inch thick rectangle. Cut into even square pieces.
- Step 5 Place the biscuits on a sheet pan lined with parchment paper or lightly greased with nonstick cooking spray. Brush the tops of the biscuits with whisked egg. Sprinkle remaining 1/2 cup of grated cheese evenly on tops. Sprinkle with kosher salt and ground black pepper. Bake for 10-15 minutes until golden brown. Remove and let cool for a few minutes on a wire rack before serving.
Savor and Enjoy!