Well folks, it’s that time of year, pomegranate season is here! Try cooking savory dishes with the juice and arils. A healthy and fresh way to brighten up holiday food.
The flavors in this dish are so festive and rich. Sweet and savory. Beautiful presentation for Christmas Eve dinner and so easy to make once you get the hang of reducing the sauce. I paired this dish with Rosemary Sweet Tater Cakes and a big fruity California Cabernet Sauvignon.
Pomegranate Pork Chops
Lightly flouring the pork chops creates a nice golden crust on the outside of the pork chop so the sauce adheres better and soaks in rather than it just laying on top. The sauce becomes one with the pork chop. I find the easiest way to remove the pomegranate seeds is to quarter the pomegranates and place them in a deep bowl. Cover with cool water and use a spoon to scoop out the seeds. Remove the pith and skin from the bowl. Use your hands to break apart any clumps of arils. Let them sink to the bottom of your bowl and use a fine mesh sieve or strainer to remove the floating pith.
- 6 bone-in Pork Chops
- 1/2 cup Flour
- 1 tablespoon Kosher Salt
- 1 tablespoon Ground Ginger
- 1 tablespoon Garlic Powder
- 1 teaspoon Cayenne
- 2 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 2 whole Shallots, diced
- 2 cloves Garlic
- 1 cup Red Wine
- 1 (8 ounce) bottle Pomegranate Juice
- 1/2 cup Chicken Stock, plus 2 tablespoons for cornstarch slurry
- 1 teaspoon Ground Ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
- 2 tablespoons Honey
- 1/2 cup Pomegranate Arils (See note to remove seeds.)
- Kosher Salt and Ground Black Pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon Cornstarch
- Parsley, chopped for garnish
- Step 1 Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Step 2 In a shallow dish mix together the flour, salt, powdered garlic, ginger, and cayenne. Season the pork chops with salt and pepper. Dip the pork chops into the seasoned flour and coat both sides. Pat off excess flour.
- Step 3 In a large skillet add the oil and heat over high heat. Add the pork chops to the pan and cook until golden brown 4 minutes per side. Remove pork chops to a baking dish and cover with foil to keep warm.
- Step 4 In a bowl whisk together pomegranate juice, chicken stock, ginger, cayenne and honey. Season with a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Step 5 In the same pan that you cooked the pork chops, reduce the heat to medium high and add the shallots. Salt the shallots and stir, cook for 2 minutes. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, 30 seconds. Immediately add the wine and deglaze the pan, scrape up any brown bits on the bottom of the pan. Reduce wine by half. When you tilt the pan it should look thickened. Add the pomegranate juice mixture to the pan, whisk into the wine. Reduce by one third.
- Step 6 In a small bowl whisk together 2 tablespoons of chicken stock and the tablespoon of cornstarch. Add the slurry to the pan and reduce heat to low. Stir until thickened. Taste and season the sauce with salt and pepper. Serve the sauce over the top of the pork chops and garnish with pomegranate arils and chopped parsley.
Savor and Enjoy!