Grilled Chimichurri Chicken Drums is the fresh flavored healthy dish you need this summer. Chimichurri is the latin version of pesto. Hailing from South America, this is a common condiment they serve spooned over grilled meats. The flavors are so fresh and green. Blended with fresh parsley, cilantro, garlic, red wine vinegar, red onion, lemon juice and olive oil. It’s a delicious twist on the basic pesto, sans the basil.
This sauce could go on anything, and I mean ANYTHING, but my favorite way to serve fresh homemade chimichurri sauce is on some grilled chicken drumsticks. It’s probably one of my favorite dishes to make in the summer time and it is such a crowd pleaser.
The charred chicken bits basted with this flavorful sauce is absolute heaven. I like to baste the chicken last with the sauce so it’s super flavorful and doesn’t burn on the grill. Serve with extra sauce, you’re going to want it.
Wine Pairing Recommendation: Say it with me, Sauvignon Blanc!
Grilled Chimichurri Chicken Drums
The sauce preparation takes less than 5 minutes in a food processor. You could also make this with grilled chicken breasts or thighs, but I'm partial to grilled chicken drumsticks for this.
- 1 bunch Fresh Parsley Leaves
- 1 bunch Fresh Cilantro Leaves
- 1/2 small Red Onion, diced
- 3 cloves Garlic, peeled
- 2 tablespoons Fresh Lime Juice
- 2 tablespoons Red Wine Vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon Kosher Salt and Ground Black Pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon Red Pepper Flakes
- 1/2 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 3 pounds Chicken Drumsticks
- Kosher Salt and Ground Black Pepper, to season
- 2 tablespoons Olive Oil
- Step 1 Preheat your grill to 450 degrees F.
- Step 2 While your grill is preheating add parsley, cilantro, diced red onion, garlic cloves, lime juice, red wine vinegar, kosher salt, black pepper, and red pepper flakes to a food processor. Pulse until chopped and roughly combined. Slowly add in olive oil while continueing to pulse until mixture is combined. Scrap sides and spoon into a bowl. Set aside.
- Step 3 Season chicken drumsticks with kosher salt and ground black pepper, drizzle with olive oil and toss to coat all sides. Add drums to the grill and grill 5 minutes per side, continue rotating for even cooking. Cook the chicken for about 20-30 minutes until the internal temperature has reached 185 degrees F. Use a basting brush to brush the chicken drums with chimichurri sauce. I like to do this when they’re still on the grill to cook the sauce slightly. Remove to a serving dish and baste with extra sauce. Serve immediately and enjoy!
Savor and Enjoy!