Light and flavorful soup. Lots of Thai inspired flavors here and the sweet potato chips compliment this soup so well.
This recipe has just the right amount of heat to it but if you’d rather it more spicy add a touch more red pepper flake. Sriracha is always a good addition too. Of course being my favorite condiment, I served it on top of the soup! Just be careful not to add too much, you can always add spice, never take it out!
Thai Coconut Shrimp Soup with Sweet Potato Chips
- 1 pound Raw Shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 whole Onion, small dice
- 1 whole Sweet Potato, shredded
- 4 cloves Garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon Red Pepper Flake, more or less for heat
- 1 can (10 ounces) Coconut Milk
- 1/3 cup Heavy Whipping Cream
- 2 cups Fish or Vegetable Stock
- Kosher Salt and Black Pepper, to season
- 1 bunch Cilantro, chopped for garnish
- 1 whole Sweet Potato, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup Cornstarch
- Canola Oil, for frying
- Kosher Salt, to season
- Step 1 In a medium sized pot heat the olive oil over medium/high heat. Add the shrimp and cook until pink, about 2 minutes. Remove shrimp with a slotted spoon to a plate and set aside. Add onion and saute, 5 minutes.
- Step 2 Squeeze excess water out of the shredded sweet potato in a paper towel and add them into the onions to saute until tender. Add minced garlic and chili flakes, cook for 30 seconds, until fragrant but don’t brown. Add the stock and bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer for 15 minutes.
- Step 3 Use an immersion blender or blender to blend the soup until smooth. Mix in coconut milk and cream and simmer for 15 minutes. Add shrimp back to soup and season soup with salt and pepper. Garnish with chopped cilantro.
- Step 4 For Sweet Potato Chips
- Step 5 In a medium sized bowl, sprinkle sliced sweet potatoes with cornstarch, toss to coat.
- Step 6 Heat oil to 350 F in a cast iron skillet. Once oil is hot add the yams and fry them for 2 minutes. Fry just until crisp. Remove to drain on paper towels. Sprinkle with salt. Serve on top of soup.
Savor and Enjoy!