This pasta is all about local fare. I bought the pasta locally at a delicatessen, the cherry tomatoes and basil at the local farmers market and the toasted fennel sausage from a local butcher. Supporting local businesses is an easy way to give back to your communities economy.
Support local, eat local.
I love this simple roasted tomato sausage pasta for so many reasons.
#1 It does not require many ingredients.
#2 It’s delicious.
#3 It pairs beautifully with a Chianti.
So many reasons, but the main reason I even made this was because of how cute the pasta is!
I had to buy it, it left me no choice. It screamed at my on the shelf “I’m cute, buy me!”
This is pannocchie pasta, it’s cut 6 different ways to create “waves”. It’s thick so that’s why I chose to do a simple roasted cherry tomato sauce with this hardy pasta. You can break it apart or it’ll break into pieces during the cooking process. You definitely want to cook this pasta al dente so you don’t over cook it when you finish it in the sauce. If you can’t find pannocchie, use fusilli, or some other cute shape.
I’m a sucker for cute shaped pasta.
Roasted Tomato Sausage Pasta
This recipe is one of those simple pasta dishes that you let the very basic ingredients shine. The sauce for the pasta is formed with pasta water from the cooked pasta. So don't forget to ladle out a cup of cooking liquid to use before draining.
- 1 pound Pannocchie Pasta or Fusilli
- 2 tablespoons Olive Oil, plus more for drizzling
- 1 pound Fennel Sausage
- 1 pint Cherry Tomatoes
- 4 cloves Garlic
- Kosher Salt and Ground Black Pepper, to season
- 1 bunch Basil, chopped
- 1 cup Parmesan Shredded, plus more for serving
- Step 1 Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F.
- Step 2 Place cherry tomatoes and garlic in the skin on a sheet pan. Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Roast in the oven for 15-20 minutes. Remove from oven and set garlic cloves aside to cool. Once cooled remove for skins and chop roasted garlic.
- Step 3 Meanwhile, cook pasta according to package. Reserve 1 cup of cooking liquid. Drain pasta and drizzle with olive oil. Set aside.
- Step 4 In a large pan heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil over medium heat, cook fennel sausage until cooked and brown. Add roasted cherry tomatoes and chopped roasted garlic to pan. Stir in reserved cooking liquid. This will create the sauce for the pasta. Turn heat off.
- Step 5 Add in pasta and toss to coat in sauce. Add in basil and parmesan to pan and toss. Serve with additional parmesan and enjoy!
Savor and Enjoy!