Puff Pastry Croque Madame is the easy Christmas breakfast you need in your life. Not that Croque Madame isn’t easy to make already, but why not make it even easier?! Flaky puff pastry topped with cheese, ham and an egg, baked to golden perfection and done in under 30 minutes.
I love croque madame, if any restaurant carries it I’m there. It’s savory, salty and all the things you need for a whole breakfast. A good croque madame can be a little tedious so this is simplified in the best way. The one thing I can’t stand about baking eggs is that it always turns out overdone. Yes, these have fried eggs on top, which you can definitely do too. However, to achieve the perfect baked egg you have to add it halfway through the baking process.
This croque madame is sans bechamel sauce as well. I took the leg work out and just topped it with a lot of shredded gruyere cheese. It’s just as good.
Serve with a Pomegranate Mimosa and you are set for a delicious and easy Christmas morning breakfast.
Puff Pastry Croque Madame
The easiest breakfast to put together that looks super fancy for Christmas morning.
- 2 sheets Puff Pastry, thawed to room temperature
- 6 ounces Gruyere Cheese, shredded
- 8 slices Black Forest Ham
- 4 whole Eggs
- Kosher Salt and Ground Black Pepper, for seasoning
- Chives, chopped for garnish
- Step 1 Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Step 2 Cut each sheet of puff pastry in half, lay evenly on a large sheet pan lined with parchment paper. Fold all the edges over on themselves to create a crust. Poke holes in the center of the puff pastry with a fork.
- Step 3 Sprinkle each puff pastry evenly with cheese, create a well in the middle for the egg. Layer 2 slices of ham on top of the cheese, slightly bunching to fit on the puff pastry and still leaving a well for the egg. Place in the oven and bake for 10 minutes until puffed and golden.
- Step 4 Remove from the oven and crack the eggs into each well in the center of the puff pastry. Season with kosher salt and ground black pepper.
- Step 5 Bake for an additional 10 minutes until egg whites are set and puff pastry is golden. Remove and garnish with chives, serve immediately.
Savor and Enjoy!