Easy Marinated Grilled Flank Steak is a quick weeknight dinner that’s so delicious. It takes very little pantry ingredients to make this cut of meat great. Flank steak is probably my favorite cut of meat to marinate and grill quickly for an easy dinner. Especially in the summer when I don’t feel like cooking inside.
Flank steak is very lean so marinating it ahead of time will keep it flavorful and protect it from drying out in the grilling process.
The longer you marinate the deeper in flavor you’ll have. I typically start my marinade in the morning and by 6pm dinner time it’s ready to grill but overnight for a full 24 hours is great too, it just depends on how much time you have.
And I usually cook on the fly, I’m terrible at planning that far in advance.
The key to flank steak is quick cooking and allowing it to rest before slicing into it. Resting your steak allows all the juices to stay absorbed in the steak without running out and making it dry. So make sure to rest up that steak before serving.
Which is good time for a quick and easy side, like garlic mushrooms! This all served on some mixed greens tossed in a little olive oil and balsamic is the perfect well balanced dinner.
Wine Pairing Recommendation: Because of the earthiness of the mushrooms and also the flavors of the balsamic marinade, a Burgundy or Willamette Valley Pinot Noir would pair nicely here.
Easy Marinated Grilled Flank Steak
Marinate your flank steak for a minimum of 6-8 hours. If you have the time, marinate overnight for a full 24 hours.
- 1.75 pound Flank Steak
- 1 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1 teaspoon Onion Powder
- 1 teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 1 teaspoon Ground Black Pepper
- 2 teaspoons Dijon Mustard
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire Sauce
- 1/2 cup Balsamic Vinegar
- 1/4 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Kosher Salt and Ground Black Pepper, for seasoning
- 4 ounces Baby Cremini Mushrooms, quartered
- 2 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 tablespoons Butter
- 2 cloves Garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 1 teaspoon Fresh Lemon Juice, about 2 wedges squeezed
- 2 teaspoons Fresh Chives, chopped
- Spring Mix Salad Blend, for serving
- Step 1 Place flank steak in a sealable plastic bag.
- Step 2 In a medium sized bowl whisk together garlic powder, onion powder, kosher salt, ground black pepper, dijon mustard, Worcestershire sauce and balsamic vinegar to combine. While whisking, slowly drizzle in olive oil to emulsify. Pour marinade over flank steak, seal bag and massage the marinade into the flank steak. Place in your refrigerator to marinate for 6-8 hours.
- Step 3 Remove steak to a sheet pan lined with aluminum foil. Season surface evenly with kosher salt and ground black pepper.
- Step 4 Preheat your grill to medium high heat, about 500 degrees F. Cook flank steak on preheated grill for 2 minutes per side. Wrap in foil and allow to rest for 10 minutes before slicing.
- Step 5 In a medium size pan heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil over medium high heat, add mushrooms and cook undisturbed for 2 minutes to allow mushrooms to brown. Stir and cook for 2 more minutes. Add butter and minced garlic to pan and season with kosher salt. Stir to toss together, sauté everything together for 2 more minutes. Mushrooms should be browned and soft. Turn heat off and stir in lemon juice and fresh chopped chives.
- Step 6 To serve: slice flank steak against the grain, serve on a platter with spring mix and garlic mushrooms on the side. Serve up family style and enjoy!
Savor and Enjoy!