Cornmeal Crusted Tilapia with Grilled Corn, Avocado and Tomato Salsa is the perfect meal for a summer day. This dish has texture, flavor and feels like a good for you meal but also comforting at the same time.
Tilapia is totally one of those “cheap eats” fish. It has a mild flavor and is flaky so it’s like the poor man halibut. It’s skinless and boneless and can be bought at any local grocery store fish counter. It’s lean, has low levels of mercury, and calories so it’s perfect for frying and for pairing with a grilled corn, avocado, tomato salsa.
Easy to make and the combination of flavors are absolutely delicious. The fresh flavors of the salsa pair so well with this fried cornmeal crusted tilapia.
Wine Pairing Recommendation: Because it’s Summer, a crisp white is always welcome with this meal. Try a Pinot Gris from Oregon, it has some minerality and isn’t too fruity.
Cornmeal Crusted Tilapia with GrilledCorn, Avocado and Tomato Salsa
- 4 whole Tilapia Filets
- 2 whole Eggs, beaten
- 1 cup Cornmeal
- 1/4 cup Flour
- 1 teaspoon Kosher Salt and Ground Black Pepper, to season
- Canola Oil, for frying
- 1 whole Avocado, pitted and chopped
- 1 cup Grape Tomatoes, halved
- 2 Sweet Yellow Corn Cobs
- 1 bunch Cilantro, chopped
- 1 whole Lime, juiced
- Step 1 Preheat your grill to medium high. Drizzle corn with olive oil and season with kosher salt and ground black pepper. Grill corn in the oven from 15 minutes. Remove and let cool. Cut corn off the cob into a bowl.
- Step 2 Combine the corn with chopped avocado and halved grape tomatoes. Add the cilantro and lime juice. Season with kosher salt and ground black pepper.
- Step 3 Whisk the eggs in a shallow dish and place the corn meal and flour in a separate shallow dish. Season the tilapia with kosher salt and ground black pepper. Dip the tilapia in the whisked eggs and dredge in the cornmeal to completely coat. Repeat with all the filets.
- Step 4 Pour oil about 1/2 inch deep in a large cast iron skillet and heat over medium high heat. Pan fry the tilapia for 2-3 minutes per side.
- Step 5 Remove and transfer to a plate. Spoon corn salad over the top of the tilapia and serve. Enjoy!
Savor and Enjoy!