Caramel Apple and Pomegranate Bread Pudding is the perfect dessert during the holidays. The pomegranates give this dish a burst of freshness while still having the decadence of the caramel apples. It’s the perfect combination of flavors.
I’m not a big dessert fan, but I can never turn down bread pudding. I became a bread pudding addict while visiting Buena Vista Cafe in San Francisco. It has the most incredible sourdough bread pudding with whiskey butter sauce. It was life changing and I recommend anyone visiting the city to go there and order it.
This dessert is perfect for holiday time and would be very fitting for a Christmas dessert. And because it’s made in two 9 inch cake pans you can serve one on Christmas and save another for yourself once company leaves or share both. I’ll let you be the judge.
Serve warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream for the perfect bite.
Caramel Apple and Pomegranate Bread Pudding
- 4 whole Granny Smith Apples, cored, halved and cut into thin slices
- 3/4 cup Brоwn Sugar
- 1/4 сup Unsalted Buttеr, cubed
- 1 loaf Brioche Bread, cubed
- 2 cups Milk
- 4 large Eggs
- 1 cup Granulated Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1 whole Orange, zested and juiced
- 1 teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
- 1 cup Pomegranate Arils, for garnish
- Powdered Sugar, for garnish
- Step 1 Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
- Step 2 Spray two 9 inch cake pans with nonstick cooking spray. In a ѕmаll ѕаuсераn оvеr medium hеаt, mеlt brоwn ѕugаr and buttеr together. Cook untіl slightly thickened, about 2 mіnutеѕ. Pоur саrаmеl ѕаuсе evenly into the bottom of the рrераrеd pans. Layer sliced apples on tор in a single even layer. Divide cubed bread evenly into pans on top of apples.
- Step 3 In a large bowl, whisk together milk, eggs, sugar, vanilla extract, orange juice and zest, and cinnamon until combined. Pour custard mixture evenly on top of the bread in the two pans. Gently press the bread down to fully submerge in the custard.
- Step 4 Bake in the preheated oven for 1 hour until bread is puffed and golden. A toothpick inserted in the center should come out clean. Remove pans and cool for a few minutes before running a knife along the edges and inverting the bread puddings onto individual plates. Garnish with pomegranates and powdered sugar. Serve warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. Enjoy!
Savor and Enjoy!