If this isn’t the most beautiful Spanish rice you’ve ever seen then I don’t know what is. Aside from its beauty this side is so incredibly easy to make. Only a few ingredients give this rice a huge punch of flavor.
Spanish rice is a great side dish to serve at any fiesta you’re hosting. Serve this with your favorite Mexican inspired dishes like Shrimp Flautas with Roasted Tomatillo Salsa, Enchiladas Verdes, and Stuffed Red Bell Peppers with Roasted Poblano Tomatillo Salsa.
It’s an easy recipe to avoid making something out of a box and it’s ten times better than that processed stuff you get at the store. No flavor packets here.
I sometimes add my own roasted tomatoes and chilies to this. Poblanos, jalapenos, anaheims. These are all mild chilies that would work great in this dish. You can adjust the spice level of this dish by adding more jalapeno or a pinch of cayenne pepper.
This will serve up to 4 so you can double the recipe for a crowd.
- 1/2 whole Onion, diced
- 1 clove Garlic
- 1 whole Jalapeno, diced
- 1 teaspoon Cumin
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 cup Basmati Rice
- 2 cups Chicken Stock
- 3 tablespoons Tomato Paste
- Green Onion, chopped for garnish
- Step 1 In a medium saucepan heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil over medium heat. Add the chopped onion and saute for 5 minutes until tender.
- Step 2 Add the garlic and chopped jalapeno and stir for 1 minute until fragrant.
- Step 3 Add the cumin, salt and basmati rice. Stir the rice and toast for 1 more minute.
- Step 4 Add the chicken stock and the tomato paste. Stir to combine the tomato paste. Bring liquid to a boil and reduce to a simmer. Cover pan and cook for 20 minutes on low until rice is cooked and tender.
- Step 5 Fluff with a fork, garnish with green onion, and serve.
Savor and Enjoy!