Fall is closing in us quickly and I’m in a comforting soup mood this Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup makes me sucker when I’m in this mood.
The Honey Cheddar Buns are a simple and perfect side for this dish and trust me won’t last long in your household. I roast my chicken before shredding and putting in this soup. I also use my homemade chicken stock in this recipe to round out this very homemade, delicious and a very flavorful soup. So huddle under the warm blankets and put on a good movie with your honey and share this wonderful Fall soup together. Enjoy!
Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup with Honey Cheddar Buns
- 1 whole Chicken, deboned, leave the skin on, save bones for chicken stock
- Kosher Salt and Ground Black Pepper, for seasoning
- 4 tablespoons Butter
- 2 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 whole Sweet Onion, diced
- 1 package White Button Mushrooms, sliced
- 2 whole Carrots, diced
- 1 whole Zucchini, diced
- 1 whole head Garlic, cloves crushed
- 1/2 cup White Wine
- 1 pinch Red Pepper Flake
- 8 cups Chicken Stock
- 4 sprigs Thyme, leaves stripped and chopped
- 1 whole Bay Leaf
- 6 ounces Wide Egg Noodles
- 1 bunch Parsley, chopped, for garnish
- 3/4 cup Warm Water
- 1 package (1/4 oz) active dry yeast
- 2 tablespoons Honey
- 2 1/2 cups All Purpose Flour or Bread Flour
- 1 teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 1 cup Sharp Cheddar Cheese, grated
- 2 tablespoons Butter
- 2 tablespoons Honey
- Step 1 Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
- Step 2 In a large pot, as always I used my Le Creuset pot, heat the butter and oil together over high heat. Salt and pepper breasts and thighs of chicken. Place skin side down in the pot. Cook until skin is crisp and golden brown, 3-4 minutes, turn and cook for another 3 minutes. Remove to a sheet pan and transfer to the oven. Cook for 10 more minutes. Remove and cool until easy to shred. Remove skin and shred. Set aside until ready to add to the soup.
- Step 3 In the same pot add the diced onions, cook until translucent and soft, 3 minutes. Salt and pepper. Add mushrooms and cook for another 2 minutes. Add carrots, zucchini, and crushed garlic cloves, cook for 2 minutes. Deglaze with white wine. Reduce by half. Add the red pepper flake.
- Step 4 Add the chicken stock, thyme, and bay leaf. Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer. Cook for 15 minutes. Remove bay leaf. Add the shredded chicken and the noodles. Cover and cook for 5 minutes until noodles are soft. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Garnish with fresh chopped parsley. Serve immediately.
- Step 5 Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 375 degrees after cooking the chicken. In your stand mixer with dough attachment add the warm water, yeast and honey. Mix together and let stand until foamy for 15-20 minutes.
- Step 6 Sift flour and salt together and add the 1 cup cheddar cheese to the flour. With the mixer running slowly add the flour, salt and cheese to the yeast mixture. until fully incorporated. Continue to mix and knead the dough for 10 minutes in your mixer.
- Step 7 Dust a work surface with flour and turn dough out onto the surface. Knead the dough for another 5 minutes. Dough should be elastic. Move dough to an oven safe bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Let proof in a warm place until doubled in size.
- Step 8 Grease a round 9″ cake pan. Remove dough and divide dough into 6 equal pieces, roll into even balls and place dough spread apart in the pan. Cover with plastic wrap and let proof in a warm place until doubled in size.
- Step 9 In a microwave safe bowl melt butter and honey together in the microwave for 20 seconds. Mix together and brush the tops of the buns with the butter.
Savor and Enjoy!