Farro is a whole grain and is a healthy alternative to this creamy dish. For a faster preparation try boiling the farro to al dente before adding in half the amount of the cooking liquid according to instructions. If broccoli rabe isn’t available at your grocery store you can use asparagus. This is a great dish on its own or as a side. A side of grilled shrimp or Prosciutto Wrapped Scallops would pair beautifully with this healthy dish!
Farro Risotto with Broccoli Rabe
- 1 cup Farro
- 2 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 small Onion, diced
- 1 bunch Broccoli Rabe, trimmed and cut into 1″ pieces
- 2 cloves Garlic, minced
- 1 pinch Red Pepper Flakes
- 1/4 cup Dry White Wine
- 4 cups Chicken Stock
- 2 tablespoons Butter
- 1 cup Parmesan, grated
- 1/2 cup Heavy Whipping Cream
- Kosher Salt and Ground Black Pepper, for seasoning
- Step 1 Soak the cup of farro in cold water for 45 minutes and drain well.
- Step 2 Heat the olive oil in a medium sized pot over medium heat and add onion. Cook until onion is tender and translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the broccoli rabe and cook, 1 minutes. Add garlic and red pepper flakes, stir until fragrant, 3o seconds. Add the farro to the pot and and stir. Toast for one minute in the pot. Add the white wine and cook stirring until white wine is reduced.
- Step 3 In a separate pot add the chicken stock and bring to a simmer. One small ladle at a time add the chicken stock to the farro and consistently stir until the stock is absorbed. Repeat until all the stock is absorbed and farro is tender.
- Step 4 Turn heat down. Salt and pepper to adjust seasoning. Add butter and Parmesan and stir until melted in. Stir in heavy cream until creamy consistency is achieved.
- Step 5 Serve with additional grated Parmesan.
Savor and Enjoy!