Easy bacon jam is the best condiment in my opinion. Burgers, yes, grilled cheese, you know it, eggs benedict, absolutely! Bacon jam sounds fancy but it’s easier than you think to upgrade your meals to the next level.
It has it all, smoky, sweet, salty and savory. I’ve done bacon jam before with wine, whiskey, and bourbon. It’s all deadly, but this is a simplified one pan version that anyone can make. It’s so worth it mind you. A little toasted English muffin, smothered in bacon jam with sliced avocado, and a fried egg, and you have a delicious easy breakfast.
But today I’m making Bacon Jam Benedict. It was amazing and everything is should be to say goodbye to 2017. It’s our last brunch of the year so I had to go big. Bacon BIG! I use thick cut hickory smoked bacon in this recipe. Definitely don’t skimpy on the quality of bacon you’re using. Buy quality thick cut for this recipe. It goes a long ways. If you can find peppered bacon I highly suggest that because it just adds to the flavor.
Store your bacon jam in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks in the refrigerator. It’s the best to can it and give as gifts during the holidays too.
Easy Bacon Jam
- 2 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 whole Onion, sliced
- 1 1/2 pounds Thick Cut Bacon, cut into lardons
- 1/3 cup Maple Syrup
- 1/3 cup Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1/4 cup Brown Sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher Salt and Ground Black Pepper
- Step 1 In a large shallow pan or cast iron skillet heat olive oil over medium heat. Add the sliced onions and cook until tender and slightly browned, about 5 minutes.
- Step 2 Add thick cut bacon to the pan and cook until fat begins to render and bacon begins to crisp, another 5 minutes. Continue stirring until bacon and onions are browned and caramelized. About 8-10 minutes. Drain fat from pan using a colander or fine sieve.
- Step 3 Add maple syrup, apple cider vinegar, brown sugar, and kosher salt and pepper to the pan. Stir to combine. Bring to a simmer and reduce heat to low. Simmer while stirring until mixture is a thickened syrup consistency. About 10-15 minutes.
- Step 4 Cool for 10 minutes and transfer to a food processor. Pulse on chop until mixture is combined and roughly chopped. Serve warm or store in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks. Enjoy!
Savor and Enjoy!