Remember when I said you could make Eggs Benedict out of leftover carnitas. Yes, this happened.
Slow Cooker Carnitas Tacos were delicious, but this Carnitas Eggs Benedict is divine.
A couple tasty twists makes this eggs benedict epic. Cilantro lime hollandaise, creamy avocado, and whole wheat English muffins toasted to perfection. This is a brunch dish you have to make.
You can make eggs benedict for 2 or for 6, I don’t recommend more than 6. You can make the poached eggs in a big batch and allow them to chill in an ice bath before serving. Toast English muffins on a sheet pan in your oven on broil for a quick toast.
Once you get the hang of making eggs benedict, it gets easier and you’ll find that it gets quicker. Practice makes perfect.
Wine Pairing Recommendation: A mimosa, always with brunch.
Carnitas Eggs Benedict
This is a great twist to a classic eggs benedict. I used leftover carnitas I had from my slow cooker carnitas tacos, the recipe can be found on the site.
- 6-8 whole Eggs, for poaching
- 2 tablespoons White Vinegar
- 2 whole Ripe Avocados, halved, skinned and smashed
- Leftover Carnitas, Slow Cooker Carnitas Recipe
- 3-4 Whole Wheat English Muffins, sliced and toasted
- Cilantro Lime Hollandaise
- 2 whole Eggs Yolks
- 2 tablespoons Lime Juice, fresh squeezed
- 2 tablespoon Warm Water
- 2 sticks Butter, melted
- 1/4 cup Cilantro, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher Salt
- Step 1 Place a large shallow pot of water on the stove with the white vinegar and bring to a slow simmer.
- Step 2 Have a couple things prepared before you start: Eggs at the ready with a slotted spoon, a medium sized bowl filled with ice water, and a small glass bowl for the eggs. Work in batches. I like to take a small glass bowl and one by one crack my eggs into the bowl. In the center of the simmering pot dip the lip of the bowl with the egg in the water and slide the egg slowly into the pot. With a slotted spoon very gently nudge the white over the yolk and leave it! Maintain a slight simmer but don’t let the water boil.
- Step 3 Poach the eggs for 3 minutes for a perfect medium egg. Remove eggs with a slotted spoon and place in the ice water to stop the cooking process. Keep the water simmering for continued cooking when you’re ready to plate.
- Step 4 Prepare the hollandaise. In a blender add the egg yolks, lime juice and warm water. On the medium or “stir” setting of your blender mix for 30 seconds until eggs look foamy. With the blender still running slowly drizzle in the warm melted butter. Add the chopped cilantro. Season with salt to taste. Place hollandaise in a bowl and keep in a warm place until ready to serve. Don’t let your hollandaise get too cold or too hot. I like to place it in the middle of my stove while I finish cooking. Stir before serving. If it gets too thick while waiting whisk in a little more warm water.
- Step 5 To Assemble: Dip poached eggs hanging out in the ice water back into the simmering hot water for about 30 seconds to warm through. Remove eggs and let drain on a paper towel to serve. Spread smashed avocado on each toasted English muffin half. Top with carnitas and top with a poached egg and spoon prepared hollandaise over the top. Serve immediately and enjoy!
Savor and Enjoy!
5 thoughts on “Carnitas Eggs Benedict”
Been cooking my way through your website, and this was delicious! The cilantro lime hollandaise sauce was perfect!
Thank you Jay!